A PhD at the EHESS with the CEIAS as host research unit
All the CEIAS statutory PhD students are affiliated with the doctoral school of the EHESS (École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales—School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences).
EHESS DOCTORAL SCHOOL (ED 286)
The programs on offer within the EHESS doctoral school (ED 286):
THE CEIAS AS HOST RESEARCH UNIT
CEIAS statutory PhD students are those who are registered at the EHESS and whose host research unit is the CEIAS—i.e. whose dissertation director is a statutory or associate faculty member or research fellow of the CEIAS, and whose PhD charter was signed by the CEIAS director(s).
List of CEIAS members accredited to direct PhD work (2017/2018)
Michel BOIVIN | Historical Anthropology, History
Mathieu CLAVEYROLAS | Social Anthropology
Loraine KENNEDY | Political Economy, Political Geography
Fabrizio SPEZIALE | History, Historical Anthropology
Stéphanie TAWA LAMA-REWAL | Political Science
Denis VIDAL | Social Anthropology
Ines G. ŽUPANOV | History
Finding a dissertation director
Depending on your topic and field, determine who is the best person to direct your dissertation then send them a letter with your file.
Putting together your file
Generally, the file comprises:
- Your M2 thesis—or thesis of equivalent French or foreign diploma
- A dissertation prospectus (NB: depending on the director, the number of pages required can vary from 2 to 15)
- A CV
An interview will then be scheduled with the dissertation director in the CEIAS offices (or via videoconference).
Once the director has agreed to take on the dissertation, the registration file can be compiled.
Registering at the CEIAS
- Fill out the registration form
- Have the form and the PhD charter signed by the dissertation director
- Have the PhD charter signed by the CEIAS director(s)
With these documents in hand, set an appointment with Nadia Guerguadj or drop by her office (No. 710) so that she can enter your file, show you around the CEIAS offices and put your name on the members list and on the PhD-student mailing lists.
Registering at the EHESS
NB: Each PhD program may require its own specific set of documents; check their instructions on the EHESS website
Turn in your complete file to the PhD program secretariat before the specified deadline. (See the calendar and the list of mandatory documents on the EHESS website or in the brochures of the various PhD programs).
Make sure you check the address of the PhD program secretariat before you go.
If the dissertation director has given her/his recommendation, the application file is brought before the Pedagogical Committee of the PhD Program and the PhD Commission of the EHESS.
An APD (Année préparatoire au doctorat—PhD preparatory year) may be recommended by the various authorities (dissertation director, Pedagogical Committee, Tuition Commission) for students who wish to change specializations and/or who may need significant scientific or linguistic remedial work.
PHD FELLOWSHIPS, SCHOLARSHIPS
As a research unit, the CEIAS can host PhD students, but does not have its own fellowship or scholarship funds.
PhD fellowships are granted by EHESS PhD programs. Candidates must apply in accordance with their field and with the support of their dissertation director.
The EHESS website includes a page that summarizes all the student calls.
The same information is provided on the website of the GIS Asie under the “Bourses, prix, contrats doctoraux” tab.
On the EFEO website, see the “Aide à la recherche” tab.
Les sites du CEIAS
- SAMAJ | The South Asia Multidisciplinary Academic Journal
- CEIAS - Facebook
- CEIAS - Twitter
- CEIAS - Newsletter
- Le Bulletin de la Bibliothèque
- Régionalisme & cosmopolitisme
- DELI | Dictionnaire Encyclopédique des Littératures de l’Inde
- DHARMA | The Domestication of “Hindu” Asceticism and the Religious Making of South and Southeast Asia
- TST | Texts Surrounding Texts
- STARS | Studies in Tamil Studio Archives and Society 1880-1980
- I-SHARE | The Indian Subcontinent’s Shared Sacred Sites
- CLAIMS | (New) Political Representative Claims: A Global View
- Sri Lanka et diasporas
- Sindhi Studies Group
- Carnet du Master Études asiatiques
- Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry
- ENGIND | Engineers and Society in Colonial and Post-Colonial India
- Autoritas - Modes d’autorité et conduites esthétiques de l’Asie du Sud à l’Insulinde
- ULRP | Udero Lal Research Project
- Territoires du religieux en Asie du Sud
- Caste, Land and Custom
- Musiques indiennes en terres créoles
3e conférence Lévi-Strauss : "L'anthropologie et la paix universelle", par Heonik Kwon
Conférence - Jeudi 17 octobre 2019 - 17:00La conférence Lévi-Strauss sera prononcée cette année par Heonik Kwon professeur d'anthropologie au Trinity College (Université de Cambridge), et aura pour thème « L'anthropologie et la paix universelle ».Heonik Kwon (Université de Cambridge) est un anth (...)(...)
John MacGregor Murray (1745-1822): Persianate and Indic Cultures in British South Asia
Journée(s) d'étude - Mardi 28 mai 2019 - 10:00This workshop proposes to examine European engagement with Persian language and textual culture in South Asia. In Mughal India (1526-1857) and in the Princely States emerging with the decline of Mughal central power, Persian language established itse (...)(...)
Centre d'Études de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud
UMR8564 - CNRS / EHESS
54 boulevard Raspail
75006 Paris, France
Tél. : +33 (0)1 49 54 83 94
La bibliothèque du CEIAS
Maison de l'Asie
22 avenue du Président Wilson 75016 Paris
Tél. : +33 (0)1 53 70 18 78
54 boulevard Raspail